Having Faith in Yourself – ALL the Way Through
Don’t think you can lose 20lb, how about 50 or 100 or 200? There are plenty of people out there who have done just that and kept it off. But how did they do it when you can’t seem to? Let’s break it down into bite-sized chunks (pardon the food reference). Here are some common elements found among successful Weight Watchers I know, that you might like to adopt:
- Believe you can do it, not just for a week or two, but ALL the way along the journey with no end.
- Adopt an “I will not fail” attitude rather than “I will try, or hope not to fail” (post it somewhere you can see it – every day)
- Refuse to give in and don’t compromise – on ANYTHING
- Make every day a new day and a step towards your goal
- Make your weight loss your 2nd job and approach it as if it is.
- Think of your weight loss like your life depends on it – because it probably does.
- Be proud of your achievements, no matter how small.
- It’s not a race, it’s a destination.
One thing you will notice about the list above is that it is all about YOU! No-one else is doing any of those things for you. You are the one responsible for your success, or your failure.
On some scale, it comes down to how badly you want to succeed. How badly do you wish to be around your children or grandchildren for a long time, or even just live longer? When my father was 55 he experienced the “widow-maker” heart attack but survived and is still alive today 32 years later. I consider those 32 years and every new year as bonus years that I may never have been able to share with him. I consider an extra 32 years or more as the equivalent to winning the lottery but realize it could have been so much different.
I simply refuse to let my life be cut short later on, when I can do something about it now, purely by making better decisions and not allowing anyone or anything to steal it from me.